So for this week, we were told to go to a chemical photo booth, take some images and then manipulate them somehow. Unfortunately, I went to the Mechanical Museum in a very poor mood. I had an insane headache and the pinging of the various games along with the screaming children did not make it any better. As I waited for the people in the booth to finish, I looked at the images on the side of it. They were of people making silly faces or making out and I was determined that I was going into that box to do something creative! I had even brought a shear piece of fabric to play with. As I prepared my fabric and my money, I just wanted to get out of there. Such negative energy! Perhaps that is why that strip (on the far right) was a little lackluster.
After that first strip, I got rid of the fabric, but still didn't know exactly what to do. So I did the standard "mug shot" strip (second from the left). That inspired me to do more with my hair, like cover my face and move around to get blur (third and forth from the left). The final strip (first on the left) was just me continuing my efforts to cover my face. After each strip, I realized I was having a blast (even texting Connie to tell her so...lol). I found myself just enjoying being in the booth and the anticipation of what was going to come out.
The first way to manipulate these were to put the hair images in the right order. I never really thought through the order when I shot them, so reordering allowed me to tell a better story.
After those manipulations, I just felt like I didn't want to focus on the negativity because I ended up having a really positive experience. So my way of getting rid of it was to bottle it up...literally. In a small jar of oil with a cork, I placed the image, printed on OHP transparency paper. It turned out well. You definitely get the feeling of being trapped and/or submerged.
For the last strip I shot, I really wanted to produce something that flowed through each shot to make the strip one big image. I decided to lay back and move up every time the strobe went off. Then, I just turned the strip on its side. This is my favorite strip because of the movement.
After looking at it though, I realized I shot it in the wrong direction; I should have started at the top and worked my way down. So for the first manipulation, I rearranged the image.